In this blog post, we will be discussing what an SEO company is and how an SEO company can help your business.
What is an SEO Company?
An SEO company is a company that specializes in Search Engine Optimization services for businesses like yours! They work to make sure that the website you have built or are building has everything it needs to rank well on search engines like Google.
Not only does this increase traffic to your site, but it also helps you sell more products and generate more revenue. The best thing about SEO services is that many companies offer free consultations and free SEO website analysis – us included! Get your free website audit
But let’s start at the beginning.
What is SEO?
Definition: SEO is the activity of improving organic search engine rankings, and thereby maximising the quantity and quality of your website traffic. This is done by creating relevant and authoritative page content related to your business, products, and services. (Credit: Information Technology Media)
SEO stands for search engine optimization. It’s a way to get your business website ranked on Google, Bing and other search engines so people can find you more easily online. Search engine optimization is the practice of using ‘organic’ marketing methods (unpaid marketing methods) to increase your website’s search engine visibility, drive traffic to your website and convert traffic into loyal customers.
There are three types of SEO activities:
- Technical SEO – Includes foundations such as sitemaps; robots.txt; page speed and mobile friendliness, etc.
- On page (Content) SEO – Page titles; Content audit; URL; meta-descriptions; title tags and semantic architecture.
- Off page SEO – Includes building backlinks; social citations and domain authority.
If we would need to pick the most important type of SEO activity it would be On-page (Content) SEO.
To learn even more about SEO read What Is Search Engine Optimization article.
‘Content is king’ is a very popular saying in Digital Marketing circles. It implies that unique, high-quality, interesting and relevant content contributes significantly to the success of companies on the Internet. It also means that Google is only after giving people what they are after in terms of results on Google search.
Google wants people to find what they are looking for in the matter of seconds. If the content of your website doesn’t answer any queries people are searching answers for, Google will not reward you with high rankings.
This brings us to another important step in the process – keywords!
What are keywords?
Keywords are ideas and topics that define what your content is about. In terms of SEO, they’re the words and phrases that searchers enter into search engines – keywords are one of the main elements of SEO.
In other words, you need to know how people are looking for the products, services or information that you offer, in order to make it easy for them to find you.
Which keywords should you target depends largely on what type of product or service you are selling as well as the ideal customer that you are trying to reach. As a website owner and content creator, you want the keywords on your page to be relevant to what people are searching for so they have a better chance of finding your content among the results. In order to align your content, products and services with your ideal client and their intention, something called ‘keyword research’ needs to be performed.
Why should I hire an SEO company instead of doing it myself?
As we mentioned earlier, there are 3 types of SEO and each of the types can get quite tricky. For example, some of the things you would need to tend to as part of technical SEO are:
- Fix broken internal and outbound links
- Find and fix http links on https pages
- Website needs to be mobile-friendly
- Check if URL structure is SEO friendly
- Add structured data
- Check the page depth of the website
- Check temporary 302 redirects
- Find and fix redirect chains and loops
As far as On-page SEO goes, SEO requires a lot more than just throwing up some content on your site. It’s about getting links, building authority and making sure everything works together to get you ranked on all the major search engines.
It this sounds like something you can do yourself, by all means do it! if, on the other hand, this sounds pretty complicated – keep reading 🙂
What should I look for in an SEO company?
First of all, these days it is pretty standard to get an SEO audit for free before you even think about working with a specific agency or company. As mentioned above, we also offer that service – don’t wait any longer – get you free SEO website audit
That being said, here is the list of things to be on the lookout for when looking for an agency to work with:
- Find an agency that will track your data. One of huge advantages of digital marketing over traditional marketing is measurability. If an agency doesn’t do that, simply put – they should not be in this business.
- Clearly define your SEO goals. In order to find the right team for the job, you first need to figure out which areas of your online presence you want to improve.
- Ask for showcases and case studies. For more thorough information, request case studies from the agency by calling them up or submitting a form online. This is one great way to see what the agency is capable of.
What to watch out for?
Sometimes it’s easier to know what you should avoid, rather than what you should look for. Below are two mistakes to avoid:
- ‘Secret sauce’ pitches. Unfortunately, there are no shortcuts in SEO. If an agency is offering you overnight rankings, doubled traffic, instant leads and any sort of ROI projections, you should walk away.
SEO is not a quick fix and takes everything from 6 months to start showing results – full stop.
- Choosing the cheapest SEO company, because like everything in life, you will get what you pay for.
We have helped numerous clients to start ranking for queries relevant to their business – why shouldn’t you be one of them? Why shouldn’t we help you write your success story? To learn more about SEO services we offer, visit our main SEO page HERE or CONTACT US.
To learn more about SEO read our blog post SEO Cape Town – Rank with us!