In this blog post we will tell you everything you need to know about how to do mobile marketing, so keep reading!
What is Mobile Marketing?
Let’s start from the beginning by defining what Mobile Marketing actually is.
Mobile marketing is a digital marketing strategy which aims to reach target audience all over the world, at any time on their smartphones, tablets, and/or other mobile devices, via websites, email, SMS and MMS, social media, and apps.
The incredible advances in mobile technology are the driving force behind the digital age we are currently living in, encouraging anyone with a mobile device to be online at any time, from anywhere in the world. From smartphones and laptops to tablets and even smart watches, access to the web is far from limited.
Mobile Device Usage
Smartphone and other mobile devices make up a large portion of digital media consumption, compared to desktop-based digital media consumption. This is because, in general, small, mobile devices are accessible in terms of affordability.
With a much larger percentage of the population having access to mobile devices, you are presented countless online marketing opportunities, allowing you to reach a variety of population groups over a larger geographical area.
Research has shown that the vast majority of adults and adolescents use mobile devices. And the uses for mobile devices are endless: from banking to blogging, downloading and research, you can use the internet and mobile devices to find most of the useful information you need from wherever you are in the world. More importantly, over 80% of mobile users use mobile devices to search for information regarding products and services.
In 2015 Google started to penalize websites that were not ‘mobile-friendly’, that is; websites which do not have a responsive website design (that alters the view of your website to suit different mobile formats).
Therefore it is critical to optimize your digital Ads; web pages; social media images and other digital media assets for mobile devices. You need to encourage the best and most engaging user experience you can. That translates into providing your online audience with the same seamless positive user experience as they would have on a desktop.
Responsive website design
This means incorporating a responsive website design (or a mobile-friendly web design) to create a seamless user experience.
Lead generation forms
It may be a good idea to reduce the length of your lead generation forms in order to create an easier experience for those users who download your content when on the move.
As for videos and images, keep the mobile user in mind as the image dimensions on their devices will be smaller; therefore you could risk having some of your image or text cut-off.
Adding Mobile marketing to your Digital marketing strategy
There are many ways to implement mobile marketing into your digital marketing strategy. Types of mobile marketing include:
- App-based Marketing – Mobile apps are a great way to promote your products and services by renting the display space within an existing app. Services like Google AdMob make it easy for you to create ads that appear within other people’s apps. This involves creating an ad or sales message which is delivered via an app on a smartphone or other mobile device.
- In-game Mobile Marketing – Mobile in-game marketing: Mobile in-game marketing refers to using ads within mobile games, like banner pop-ups, full-page image ads or even video ads that appear between loading screens.
- QR Codes – Quick Response (QR) codes are electronic “barcodes” which contain a string of numbers and letters. When a user scans a QR code with their camera, the code is automatically interpreted by the camera on their phone and used to direct the user to a webpage where they will get more information.
- Location-based Marketing – Mobile location-based ads are ads that appear on mobile devices based upon a user’s location relative to a business. For example, an advertiser may only want his mobile ad to appear when users are within a 1-mile radius of his business.
- Mobile Search Ads – Basic Google Search Ad built for mobile often featuring extra mobile add-ons like click-to-call or maps.
- Mobile Image Ads – An “image-based” ad is an ad that uses graphics and pictures to catch attention and get the reader interested. Mobile Image ads appear on mobile devices.
- SMS and MMS marketing – Text message (SMS) marketing is any marketing campaign that uses text messages as a medium. Some experts consider it to be outdated.
Benefits of mobile marketing
Every social media platform and other online platforms have various designs which allow you to choose from different Ad formats. This allows you to customize your adverts in order to present your business in a unique and creative way.
Broaden, share and stay connected
Mobile Ads are highly beneficial especially when it comes to sharing. They allow you to broaden your audience and market due to the ability to share instantly. This may include mobile Ads, promotions or content they may find interesting and exciting. Sharing will increase the amount of people who your Ad will reach as well as your traffic when compared to traditional marketing methods.
Build customer relationships
Mobile marketing enables your business to create personal relationships that are not possible in other conventional marketing strategies. Mobile marketing campaigns are secure; therefore they allow you to relay messages directly to the consumer in a personalized way. That way you can receive instant advertisement feedback, making for valuable two-way conversations with customers.
Interact and relate
Mobile campaigns assist your business to be more aware of your target market’s needs. They provide information such as time of response; location; or helping your business to contextualize and capitalize on their current interests.
There are many ways to optimize digital marketing assets for mobile users. The most important part of implementing mobile marketing into your digital marketing strategy is to always consider how the user experience will translate onto mobile devices. Always keep the mobile user experience in mind to create a digital journey that delights your online audience and achieves your desired digital marketing results.
Digital Marketing South Africa
Your website is a tool to market your business that offers you limitless opportunities in the form of potential customers, sales and conversions. The vast majority of this audience uses mobile devices to access the internet for a variety of needs; therefore it is wise to use this opportunity to the fullest.
Digital Marketing South Africa can help you take full advantage of digital and mobile your business to the next level. We have a team of digital wizards equipped with all the tools necessary to help you grow your business online. We handle all aspects of online marketing, including:
- Content Creation,
- Content Strategy,
- Search Engine Optimisation (SEO)
- Social Media Marketing (managing and sharing across all social networks)
- Email Marketing
- Pay Per Click
- Marketing Automation
Feel free to contact us for more information about our online marketing services.
Website Design Cape Town
A fully functional website is critical to your online marketing. It must be mobile responsive; modern and it must be designed with SEO and the user experience in mind.
Your website should form the basis of your marketing efforts and include elements such as a blog engine and social media sharing.
Digital Marketing South Africa utilises the superior professional web design services of ITM Website Design. Please see their website design pricing and packages here.